Salamanca is a small and lively city to the west of Spain with one of the oldest
Universities in Europe and a historic area, which is a World Heritage Site. You can also enjoy the friendly atmosphere, the diversity of people and the gastronomy of
Surely the most beautiful Spanish porched squares. Built in the Baroque style during the eighteenth century, includes the Town Hall, closing the north side in the same building style.
Initiated in the twelfth century with the canons of Romanesque and continued in later centuries. Altarpiece of the italian Nicholas Florentino and a byzantine dome known as “Torre del Gallo”.
Iniciated by Gil de Hontañón at the beginning of s. XVI, it was not until 1733 culminated after the intervention of the best architects of the time. The main entrance is a compositional and ornamentation boast.
It is the oldest of Spain by founding date, at the beginning of s. XIII. The current building has a Plateresque-style facade carved in stone as if it were goldsmiths, with the bust of the Catholic Monarchs and the imperial coat of Carlos V. The main staircase has a rich coffered ceiling.
Mentioned in the book “Lazarillo de Tormes”, it has a stone statute of a bull which is part of the coat of arms of the city. The bridge is on the Roman road linking Mérida and Astorga (Vía de la Plata). Fifteen of the arches are still the traditional Roman ones.
Beautiful Plateresque front covering the yard plenty of and “mixtilíneos” typical Salamanca arches. Today is an exhibition hall and the University Museum.
Impresive Neoclasical inner yard, built in the late eighteenth to the heart of a building constructed four centuries earlier. Today is the scene of the Faculty of Arts.
One of the most beautiful courtyards of the Spanish Renaissance. The church features a portrait of Alonso Berruguete.
The portico of the church with its “dust” and fine metalwork ornaments that look when they are impregnated by sunlight, is one of the most complete pictures of the Spanish Renaissance.
Considered as the most representative monument of the civil art of the time of the Catholic Kings, this house was built in the late fifteenth century with a very remarkable railings outside.
A surprising Plateresque cover leads to the Renaissance cloister decorated with plane figures and amazing anthropomorphic volumes.
Built in 1539, this building is considered the most characteristic of the Spanish Renaissance palaces, and was copied in various cities until the twentieth century.
Its Plateresque decoration is assumed due to the same workmen that made the facade of the University. Medallions and effigy of Don Alonso de Fonseca, Patriarch of Alexandria.
Church of the sixteenth century, with Gothic interior and Renaissance outside. Interesting tombs and altarpieces. Capilla del Cristo de los Milagros with Moorish paneling.
Built on the first half of the sixteenth century, this monastery has a church tower of interest and a curious little museum.
Building started in 1617 on the initiative of the king Philip III, it contains a synthetic style church between Herrerian and Baroque ones.
Begun in 1636, the church is most suited to the Italian artistic standards among those erected in Salamanca. The altarpiece has a beautiful painting of a “Inmaculada” by José Ribera.
Old Palace of Fermoselle, of Italian silhouette with beautiful and mullioned windows, built in the fifteenth century.
Built in 1538. Arcs of great interest, capitals and corbels in the inner yard. Today is the seat of the Council of Salamanca.
Romanesque church built in 1175 by two English teachers, dedicated to St Thomas Becket. Emphasize their graves.
Actual Museum of Decorative Arts (Art Nouveau and Art Deco), is a modernist building whose facade soon turns to the narrow streets of the historic city and whose galleries and iron stairs back open like a waterfall into the river Tormes.
From a classic square base fortification, an octagonal tower that suggests more artistic than warriors auction, emerges. It is the remnant of the former residence of Clavero of the Military Order of Calatrava.
Interesting circular Romanesque church. On the top of the south doorway there is an emblem corresponding to period when Spain and Portugal were the same country.
XIII century Franciscan Foundation whose convent church choir and cloister can be visited by an original system of walkways and bridges.